Friday, January 8, 2010

If I put a layer of soil over a garden path could I grow annuals in it?

I'm thinking of doing this next year. The soil would be about 4 or 5 inches deep.If I put a layer of soil over a garden path could I grow annuals in it?
Yes you can. Most plastic window troughs are less than 5'; so you should be Ok. If you use soil then it would be advisable to either incorporate some grow bags or better still some composted bark. This helps to improve moisture retention. Mix it in well with the soil and you should have a marvelous garden. But there is no need to wait until next year. Plant some Winter Pansies, Primrose and bulbs and brighten up your winter.


If you would like something a little more permanent then give Alpines a go. Start off with a few in between your annuals and if successful fill up the bed.


Hope this has helped you. Take some photos and post them in Answers next year.If I put a layer of soil over a garden path could I grow annuals in it?
By garden path, are you talking concrete? Yes, I believe you could grow annuals there, so song as you keep it well watered. I drove by last week especially to look at a cedar tree that my dad planted in 1950. My mother had contracted the job at a new school, and the contract called for the tree to be planted there. He dug down about a foot and found an old concrete sidewalk. So he planted the tree on top of it. The tree is huge and beautiful. I have a garden path made up of separate stones laid over black weed cloth. I fight not only weeds but good stuff growing between the stones, that don't want to grow in the flower beds. Gravel? Take a look at my driveway. Mulch and wood chips don't seem to mean a thing. If you build it, they will come.





My part of the world is semi-desert, with red clay underneath.
It would be less work but in the long run it may be better if you took up the path or at least break it up a bit, then you could plant what you like. Another thing, while you're at it you could make it more than 5'; deep, not so far to bend when weeding. Stone is expensive but old sleepers or tanalised wooden rail would look good with alpines dangling over the sides.
Yes you can grow any plant in soil but did you want to completely cover the garden path or in the cracks between.?
I don't see why you wouldn't be able to. As long as you water and fertilise regularly.
Do you intend this to be a permanent feature? If so and you do not want to break up the path then would it be possible to create a raised bed? This can be done very easily and inexpensively by using scaffolding boards for the edging.





Otherwise assuming that the path area has good drainage then annuals will do very well in a soil depth of 4 to 5 inches as they do not have extensive root systems.





You could even grow a mixed leaf salad crop. Just think how much you pay for a bag of salad leaves in the supermarket!
The shallow soil and possible lack of drainage could limit the type of plants to be grown Need to be shallow rooted. Would be better if you could break the path up,

No comments:

Post a Comment